A well-planned family is a happy family. However, choosing the suitable birth control option when you seek to avoid pregnancy can be a challenging experience. Luckily, the compassionate providers at MyDoc Women’s Health Specialists are willing and ready to help. For efficient Boca Raton birth control services, contact the professionals for the knowledge you need to make an informed choice.
What is birth control?
Contraceptives or birth control are useful in the prevention of pregnancy. There are several birth control options with distinct advantages. While some effectively protect you from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), others are efficient in preventing pregnancy. Birth control options are either short-term, long-term, or permanent.
How Birth Control Works
Contraceptives work differently depending on the option you select.
- Barriers – Some types of birth control create a barrier to prevent sperm from reaching the egg. These are the most prevalent types of birth control and include condoms, diaphragms, and cervical caps. Spermicides are also occasionally used to kill sperm.
- Hormones – In these types of contraceptives, hormones block your ovaries from releasing eggs. They may also thicken your cervical mucus or trim your uterine lining, preventing sperm from reaching the egg.
- Sterilization – This permanent form of birth control in women prevents sperm from reaching the uterus by blocking or severing the fallopian tubes.
- Intrauterine devices (IUD) – Are an example of long-term birth control that involves a small T-shaped plastic device implanted into the uterus. IUDs are of several types; some contain low-level hormones while others do not, both preventing sperm from reaching your egg.
- Cycle Tracking – This is a natural form of birth control that includes keeping track of your menstrual cycle to identify your safe and unsafe days.
Available Types of Birth Control
At MyDoc Women’s Health Specialists, the experts offer a wide range of birth control for you to choose from, including:
- Implant (Implanon®)
- Oral contraceptives
- Injection (Depo-Provera®)
- IUD (intrauterine device)
- Surgical sterilization (tubal ligation or Essure®)
- Diaphragm or cervical cap
How do I select the right birth control?
Each type of birth control has its advantages and side effects. Your provider works closely with you before settling on the best option.
During your appointment, your doctor undertakes a full medical examination, aiming to assess your overall health. Additionally, she discusses your desires on pregnancy for the future and your sexual activity.
Important factors you ought to consider before choosing your birth control option include:
- Affordability and convenience
- Side effects
- Is the birth control reversible?
- Protection from STDs
- Short-term or long-term protection
Besides birth control services, you can also contact the experts at MyDoc Women’s Health Specialists for other quality services such as:
- Adolescent care
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic floor therapy
- STD testing
- Vaginal dryness
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Vaginal rejuvenation
In these modern days, you need to plan your future appropriately if you wish to have kids. With numerous birth control options available, selecting your best fit can be quite demanding. At MyDoc Women’s Health Specialists, your provider helps you make the right choice regarding contraceptives. For more information, call the office or schedule your appointment online today.