Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments that offer a quick, noninvasive, and affordable way to enhance your smile. Having a radiant smile can boost your confidence, thereby promoting social acceptance.
Drexel Hill dentist and team are well-equipped and offer state-of-the-art teeth bleaching techniques that best suit your individual dental needs.
What is teeth whitening? How does it work?
A teeth whitening procedure is a non-invasive treatment of bleaching your teeth. You can notice a substantial improvement in the brightness and whiteness of your smile.
Reasons for teeth whitening
It is recommended for the following conditions:
- Normal wearing away of the enamel layer, as seen during aging, exposes the dentin with a yellowish hue
- Tooth staining due to smoking and tobacco use
- Discoloration as a side effect of certain medications like tetracycline, antibiotics, or antihistamines
- Fluorosis (exposure to high levels of fluorides causing white spots on the tooth surface
- Stains due to certain foods (berries and cherries) and drinks (tea, coffee)
What are the types of teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening systems are of two types:
In-office teeth whitening system
- Performed at the dental clinic under the guidance of a dentist
- A high concentration of bleaching agent (active agent) is used to bleach the teeth
- The active agent is applied on the tooth surfaces and cured using LED or UV light
- The process takes around 30 to 45 minutes
At-home teeth whitening system
- This type of teeth whitening involves bleaching the teeth through whitening trays
- These are clear plastic customized trays that are fabricated according to your oral impressions
- The bleaching agent is filled into the trays and should be worn on top of the arch
- The clear trays provided by the dentist should be worn for 30 minutes twice daily or overnight
What does a teeth whitening procedure involve?
The procedure for using the at-home teeth whitening trays is as follows:
- You must first clean your teeth and gums thoroughly
- Only a small amount of the active gel should be inserted into the tray
- Then, you must firmly push the tray into place against the teeth
- Do not swallow any excess gel and immediately spit it out
- Wear the tray for the instructed period of time
- After the time limit, remove the trays and immediately rinse the teeth
- Use a toothbrush to remove the gel from the tray
- Clean and wipe the tray and place it in a tray holder until the next use
- Store the gel in the refrigerator or a cool place
Always follow the instructions of your dentist, and do not be tempted to use the gel for a longer period of time.